Developed initially for members of the US military, suspension training bodyweight exercise develops strength, balance, flexibility and core stability simultaneously.
It requires the use of a Suspension Trainer, which is a highly portable performance training tool that makes use of gravity and the user’s body weight to complete hundreds of exercises. At Functional Fitness , we use the FKPro suspension trainer, developed by a Bristol-based coach to use with pro-rugby players.
The user is in control of how much s/he wants to challenge themselves on each exercise - because they can simply adjust the position of the body to add or decrease resistance on the straps.
Every class - typically 50 minutes in length - delivers a fast, effective total-body workout, particularly focussing on:
1. Building a strong core - essential to ensuring a strong and stable back and shoulders, thus improving posture.
2. Increasing muscular endurance - set exercises are carried out for a number of repetitions, building muscle strength.
3. Providing benefit to people of all fitness levels: from professional athletes to seniors.
4. Offers rehabilitation for those recovering from illness or injury, as the strap support provides a safe and secure means of returning to activity.
5. Suspension straps are affordable (sets are available to buy through Functional Fitness) and can easily be transported (in a suitcase on holiday for example) and set up ready to use in multiple locations, both indoor and outdoor.
6. By utilizing your own bodyweight, the suspension trainer provides greater performance and functionality than large exercise machines which are expensive but not portable.
We recommend a one-to-one lesson (one hour) initially with a qualified suspension training, before joining our regular classes which take place most mornings and evenings in the gym. The maximum class size is 8 people, ensuring the trainer can supervise closely and quickly correct posture and positioning to avoid injury.
F2 is the only gym outside London offering regularly scheduled, small group suspension training in this way.